Advanced Fundraising: Accelerating Your Path to Senior Management
AFP-NYC Cohort Series
Alongside our returning and popular cohort series for small shops, AFP NYC this year offers a chance to explore the challenges and opportunities of leading a team within the context of advancing your career. Designed for fundraisers who have recently attained or seek to attain a SVP/VP/CDO role supervising a team, this series will comprise four sessions on specific topics with experienced professional guest speakers, and plenty of time for roundtable discussions and peer group problem-solving. Aiming to address both theory and practice, the series will help you:
- Hone your leadership, management, collaboration and relationships building skills – while finding time to be a front-line fundraiser.
- Build relationships in the field with a “brain trust” of peers facing similar turning points.
- Articulate your accomplishments to help advance your organization and career.
LOCATION: Zoom (and perhaps Cohort Cocktails in-person)
SERIES COST: $175 for Members/$250 for non-Members
Space is limited. Please click below to let us know who you are and how the series can help you!
(This step does not commit you to participating and the form will not ask for payment.)
Each session features two experienced guest speakers, who will speak to their approaches and recommendations, turning points in their careers, etc. Group discussion including Q&A and joint problem-solving will follow.
June 9: The Balancing Act
- Finding time for both management and fundraising
- Focusing on principal and leadership gifts
- Collaborating across departments to get what you need
- Structuring and supervising your team
July 14: Board/CEO Relations
- Communicating effectively with your Board and CEO
- Identifying and meeting expectations of your Board and CEO
- Motivating your Board and CEO to engage in fundraising
August 11: The Landscape of Philanthropy
- Changes and evolutions in the field
- Articulating your organization’s value proposition
- New generations in philanthropy
September 22: Your Personal Journey
- Clarifying your strengths, skills and ambitions
- Presenting yourself as a supervisor, colleague, and senior leader
- Effective storytelling about your experiences and impact
Bonus Session: COHORT COCKTAILS (late September)
- To wrap up, we'll gather - perhaps in person! - to chat about challenges, opportunities and goals