Unite, Elevate, Impact: Embrace the Power of an AFP Membership!
Chapter Leadership Brief 8.25.23
By Brently Winstead, Director of Development, The Child Center of NY
When I joined The Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP) many years ago. I was not aware of the multitude of benefits AFP would bring me. In the spirit of sharing, I would like to express all the positive benefits I have and continue to experience as a member of the Local NYC Chapter and Global AFP.
Being a member of the AFP at both the global and local levels can offer numerous benefits to fundraising professionals. AFP is a respected international organization that provides resources, networking opportunities, and professional development for individuals involved in fundraising and philanthropy. Here are some reasons why being a member of AFP at both levels can be beneficial to you:
Global Level Benefits:
1. Networking Opportunities: AFP connects fundraising professionals from all over the world, allowing you to build a global network of colleagues, mentors, and potential partners. This can expand your knowledge, share best practices, and stay updated on international trends. An example of this is being a part of the committees and affinity groups that AFP Global has. All committees and affinity groups are open to anyone who wishes to participate. The only requirement is that you are an AFP member.
2. Access to Resources: Being a global member provides access to a wide range of resources, including research reports, case studies, and toolkits that can help you enhance your fundraising skills and strategies. In addition, AFP Global has many resources to help you obtain CFRE credits.
3. Professional Development: AFP offers national and international conferences, webinars, workshops, and seminars that cover cutting-edge fundraising techniques, leadership skills, ethical considerations, and more. These opportunities can help you stay at the forefront of the latest and greatest trends and best practices in the fundraising sector.
4. Recognition and Credibility: Being associated with a globally recognized professional organization like AFP can enhance your professional credibility and reputation, both within your organization and in the broader fundraising community.
5. Advocacy and Representation: AFP advocates for the fundraising profession globally, engaging with policymakers and advocating for ethical and effective fundraising practices. As a member, you contribute to these efforts and help shape the future of fundraising.
Local Level Benefits:
1. Community Connection: Joining a local AFP chapter allows you to connect with fundraising professionals in your region. This provides opportunities for in-person networking, local insights, and building relationships that can lead to collaboration. I personally enjoy being a part of my committee, it’s a great way to meet new fundraisers from many backgrounds and from various service areas within the non-profit sector.
2. Tailored Learning: Local chapters often offer events and resources that are specifically relevant to your regional context. This can include discussions about local regulations, cultural considerations, and specific challenges faced by fundraisers in your area.
3. Professional Growth: Local AFP chapters provide a platform for professional growth through workshops, seminars, and discussions. You can learn from experienced fundraisers in your community and exchange practical insights.
4. Support System: Fundraising can be challenging, and being part of a local AFP chapter provides you with a supportive community where you can share experiences, seek advice, and find mentorship.
5. Local Impact: By participating in local AFP activities, you contribute to the growth and development of the fundraising profession in your community. This can have a direct positive impact on local nonprofit organizations and causes.
In conclusion, being a member of the Association of Fundraising Professionals at both the global and local levels can provide you with a comprehensive range of benefits that enhance your skills, broaden your network, and contribute to the advancement of the fundraising profession both internationally and within your local community.